Author Topic: Anyone ever teach English overseas?  (Read 641 times)

Vicious Zvahl

• PR Member
    • View Profile
  • FFXI: Vyre (Bismarck)
  • FFXIV: Vicious Zvahl ( Excalibur) Vyre Vahzl (Excalibur)
Anyone ever teach English overseas?
« on: February 20, 2016, 08:28:16 AM »
What the topic is titled. I'm looking into teaching English in Japan, namely so I can live there. :creepy:

If anyone knows anything about it, I'd appreciate hearing the info/story etc. :bounce:
A mind all logic is as a knife all blade; it cuts the hand that wields it.

Fawkes

• PR Member
    • View Profile
  • FFXI: Fawkes (Kujata), Pokes (Valefor)
  • FFXIV: Fawkes Macleod
Re: Anyone ever teach English overseas?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 02:12:39 PM »
All I know is from that story where the kids played kancho and tried to grab his dick a lot.

I think he used the JET program.

void4ever

• PR Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 04:32:30 PM »
Fawkes with the helpful info as always.... WAIT HE SPOKE!!!

I don't know anything on the subject, but wouldn't you also need to know Japanese? Then again maybe you do.

Malicious Misery

• PR Officer
    • View Profile
  • FFXI: Maliciousmisery
  • FFXIV: Malicious Misery
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 11:53:10 AM »
You will have to get a contract through a language tutoring company, probably too old to do JET.
http://japaneselevelup.com/category/jobs/page/3/

Vicious Zvahl

• PR Member
    • View Profile
  • FFXI: Vyre (Bismarck)
  • FFXIV: Vicious Zvahl ( Excalibur) Vyre Vahzl (Excalibur)
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 05:52:29 PM »
Thanks guys. Also, what do you mean by too old for JET, Mali? Their site says nothing about age, but it wouldn't be the first time Japan had some rule I found incredibly strange(for example: no Umbrellas past this point).

I've pretty much been asking anyone I know if they know anyone that knows etc. Everyone's saying the same thing pretty much. Get a Bachelor's, and be professional as all hell when you apply. Knowing Japanese is a big plus but not required(which actually kind of baffled me). My Japanese is fairly non-extant. I know a handful of words, like sumimasen(Excuse me), wakarimasen(I don't understand), arigatou(thank you), gomenesai(Sorry), sugoi(amazing), and that's about it. If I can get this train on track, I'm looking to get a Bachelor's in whatever my Navy training/old credits from 2008~2010 compile towards(if it's anything at all). While doing this, I also plan on taking Japanese courses.

Some people like to talk about, "Learn by immersion." But as far as I can tell, that won't do jack shit with Japanese lol. I was in Japan for 3 weeks, and didn't pick up a single phrase through immersion lol.

Of course, all that said, Mali's link was really discouraging! Q.Q That guy was like, "Yeah, don't bother trying to teach English in Japan if you don't speak Japanese. You'll only get 20% of the experience, and you won't make any friends." Like, sure, ok, but damn guy that's a dick move. Especially after he just got done saying, "Hey, anything you read on the internet is likely to discourage you, so don't read stuff on the internet." Almost thought it was a troll article till I read the comments. I mean, it is mostly true, you'll have it way better if you can speak the language. But how is that not obvious?
A mind all logic is as a knife all blade; it cuts the hand that wields it.

Malicious Misery

• PR Officer
    • View Profile
  • FFXI: Maliciousmisery
  • FFXIV: Malicious Misery
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 06:32:24 AM »
Looks like they changed. When I was thinking about doing it they did no want anyone over 25.

WiltonK

• Eorzean Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 12:50:55 AM »
Looks like they changed. When I was thinking about doing it they did no want anyone over 25.

Why's that?